So, on my birthday, Mother Nature decided to give me an exciting storm. This storm came with large hail in the package. This hail gave my car dents, and lots of them. Wonderful. So, I decided to go ahead and have somebody take a look at it. I have insurance for a reason, after all. I went with the closest place the insurance company listed off, which turned out to be almost right across the street. They assessed the damage at $3175.21
. I have a $500 deductible, which is all I'm paying for the repairs, but man, that's more than I expected. They want to replace the hood and repair the dents on the roof. The rest of the dents will be the paintless dent repair. There were small dents on pretty much every panel. The hood and roof will need to be painted, and to do this, they need to take the front and rear windows out.
Now, back in January or February, I got a tiny chip in my windshield that turned into a huge crack. It hit the edge of the windshield before I even noticed it. I had just gotten my windshield replaced for the same exact reason
in July of '07. I let it slide this time because I didn't want to spend another $250 on yet another
windshield. I would have gone through my insurance, but the deductible is $500 like I said before. The place they wanted me to go to would have charged $350 anyway. I recently found out that this deductible is per occurrence too, so any time my windshield cracks, I'm going to have to pay full cost. At any rate, I asked them to just go ahead and buy a new windshield while it was already out. They'd probably break it even more when taking it out. The price on that was $220-ish.
They tell me that the repairs could be up to 8 days. I didn't ask for a rental car on the initial call to the insurance company, but they had a rental company right in the same building as the repair company. They gave me a Pontiac G6 to drive around while my car is out. The rent on that is something like $24/day and my insurance covers up to $30. I also opted for damage coverage at $15 a day. Not sure if insurance covers that bit, but either way, I'm paying some extra. I wouldn't normally, but I did for fear of storms. Things seem to be calming down, but it has been way too stormy lately for me to feel safe. I'm already having to rent that car due to damage after all.
In the end, this could still be something like an $800 ordeal. Any hopes of digging up money for a new computer to play Spore
are likely dashed upon the hailstones. I leave you with links to a few pictures